ListArc » English » Computer and Internet » PostGIS : postgis-users » Where+is+postgis.sql?


Where+is+postgis.sql?


29-09-2012 09:28 PM
1


Newby question: I want to attach postgis to my new db. Postgresql 9.1 seemed to install fine, but I can't find postgis.sql. Where is it? It's not in /usr/share/.../contrib as I'm given to expect. I don't want to compile from source to get it, if I don't have to. What's its relationship to postgis.sql.in.c?

Thanks for your help.
_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
postgis-
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
)



29-09-2012 09:48 PM
2


Sorry, I meant Ubuntu 12.04.
_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
postgis-
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
)



29-09-2012 09:56 PM
3


Just because I gotta know ..
you didn't mention it but I assume you installed it ??


*Jeff Lake*
MichiganWxSystem
AllisonHouse
GRLevelXStuff
On 9/29/2012 13:48, Vince Miller wrote:
> Sorry, I meant Ubuntu 12.04.
> _______________________________________________
> postgis-users mailing list
> postgis-
> http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
>






29-09-2012 10:15 PM
4


By "it" you mean? Ubuntu 12.04: yes, postgresql 9.1 yes, postgis: is there something I need to to to install it? like, compile it from source?

Vince

--- On Sat, 9/29/12, Jeff Lake <> wrote:

From: Jeff Lake <>
Subject: Re: [postgis-users] where is postGIS.sql?
To: "PostGIS Users Discussion"
Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 10:56 AM







Just because I gotta know ..

you didn't mention it but I assume you installed it ??





Jeff Lake

MichiganWxSystem

AllisonHouse

GRLevelXStuff
On 9/29/2012 13:48, Vince Miller wrote:



Sorry, I meant Ubuntu 12.04.
_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
postgis-
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users








-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
postgis-
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users





29-09-2012 10:19 PM
5


http://postgis.refractions.net/download/




*Jeff Lake*
MichiganWxSystem
AllisonHouse
GRLevelXStuff
On 9/29/2012 14:15, Vince Miller wrote:
> By "it" you mean? Ubuntu 12.04: yes, postgresql 9.1 yes, postgis: is
> there something I need to to to install it? like, compile it from source?
>
> Vince
>
> --- On *Sat, 9/29/12, Jeff Lake /<>/* wrote:
>
>
> From: Jeff Lake <>
> Subject: Re: [postgis-users] where is postGIS.sql?
> To: "PostGIS Users Discussion"
> Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 10:56 AM
>
> Just because I gotta know ..
> you didn't mention it but I assume you installed it ??
>
>
> *Jeff Lake*
> MichiganWxSystem
> AllisonHouse
> GRLevelXStuff
> On 9/29/2012 13:48, Vince Miller wrote:
>> Sorry, I meant Ubuntu 12.04.
>> _______________________________________________
>> postgis-users mailing list
>> postgis-
>> http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
>>
>
>
> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----
>
> _______________________________________________
> postgis-users mailing list
> postgis-
>
> http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> postgis-users mailing list
> postgis-
> http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users






29-09-2012 10:25 PM
6



On Sep 29, 2012, at 11:15 AM, Vince Miller <> wrote:

> By "it" you mean? Ubuntu 12.04: yes, postgresql 9.1 yes, postgis: is there something I need to to to install it? like, compile it from source?



Yes, you do need to install PostGIS (it is not a part of Postgres). How you install it depends on your OS. You well might have to download the source code and compile it for your machine.

Once you install PostGIS successfully, then you can ask more questions here. Check out the Postgis website for the download and installation instructions.



--
Puneet Kishor
_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
postgis-
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
)



29-09-2012 10:27 PM
7


Yes, thanks Jeff. I got this. This seems to be the "build it yourself from source" option. Is this the only way?

--- On Sat, 9/29/12, Jeff Lake <> wrote:

From: Jeff Lake <>
Subject: Re: [postgis-users] where is postGIS.sql?
To: "PostGIS Users Discussion"
Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 11:19 AM







http://postgis.refractions.net/download/









Jeff Lake

MichiganWxSystem

AllisonHouse

GRLevelXStuff
On 9/29/2012 14:15, Vince Miller wrote:






By "it" you mean?
Ubuntu 12.04: yes, postgresql 9.1 yes, postgis: is there
something I need to to to install it? like, compile it
from source?



Vince



--- On Sat, 9/29/12, Jeff Lake <>
wrote:



From: Jeff Lake <>

Subject: Re: [postgis-users] where is postGIS.sql?

To: "PostGIS Users Discussion"


Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 10:56 AM





Just
because I gotta know ..

you didn't mention it but I assume you installed
it ??





Jeff
Lake

MichiganWxSystem

AllisonHouse

GRLevelXStuff
On 9/29/2012 13:48, Vince Miller wrote:



Sorry, I meant Ubuntu 12.04.
_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
postgis-
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users









-----Inline Attachment Follows-----



_______________________________________________

postgis-users mailing list

postgis-

http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users












_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
postgis-
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users







-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
postgis-
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users





29-09-2012 10:35 PM
8


For Ubunto ..not sure if there is an 'apt' package or not


*Jeff Lake*
MichiganWxSystem
AllisonHouse
GRLevelXStuff
On 9/29/2012 14:27, Vince Miller wrote:
> Yes, thanks Jeff. I got this. This seems to be the "build it yourself
> from source" option. Is this the only way?
>
> --- On *Sat, 9/29/12, Jeff Lake /<>/* wrote:
>
>
> From: Jeff Lake <>
> Subject: Re: [postgis-users] where is postGIS.sql?
> To: "PostGIS Users Discussion"
> Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 11:19 AM
>
> http://postgis.refractions.net/download/
>
>
>
>
> *Jeff Lake*
> MichiganWxSystem
> AllisonHouse
> GRLevelXStuff
> On 9/29/2012 14:15, Vince Miller wrote:
>> By "it" you mean? Ubuntu 12.04: yes, postgresql 9.1 yes, postgis:
>> is there something I need to to to install it? like, compile it
>> from source?
>>
>> Vince
>>
>> --- On *Sat, 9/29/12, Jeff Lake /<>
>> /* wrote:
>>
>>
>> From: Jeff Lake <>
>>
>> Subject: Re: [postgis-users] where is postGIS.sql?
>> To: "PostGIS Users Discussion"
>>
>>
>> Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 10:56 AM
>>
>> Just because I gotta know ..
>> you didn't mention it but I assume you installed it ??
>>
>>
>> *Jeff Lake*
>> MichiganWxSystem
>> AllisonHouse
>> GRLevelXStuff
>> On 9/29/2012 13:48, Vince Miller wrote:
>>> Sorry, I meant Ubuntu 12.04.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> postgis-users mailing list
>>> postgis-
>>> http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
>>>
>>
>>
>> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> postgis-users mailing list
>> postgis-
>> http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> postgis-users mailing list
>> postgis-
>> http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
>
>
> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----
>
> _______________________________________________
> postgis-users mailing list
> postgis-
>
> http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> postgis-users mailing list
> postgis-
> http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users






30-09-2012 01:32 AM
9


Hi Vince,

What operation system? What method did you install? If you have
pg_config installed (part of the development package of postgres), you
can find the share and contrib directory:

$ ls `pg_config --sharedir`/contrib

But, since you are using 9.1, you should use the extension method of
attaching postgis. From psql/pgAdmin in your target database, use the
DDL command:

CREATE EXTENSION postgis;

-Mike

On 30 September 2012 06:28, Vince Miller <> wrote:
> Newby question: I want to attach postgis to my new db. Postgresql 9.1 seemed to install fine, but I can't find postgis.sql. Where is it? It's not in /usr/share/.../contrib as I'm given to expect. I don't want to compile from source to get it, if I don't have to. What's its relationship to postgis.sql.in.c?
>
> Thanks for your help.
_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
postgis-
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
)



02-10-2012 04:53 AM
10


Thanks Mike, but your method produces the following message:

ERROR: could not open extension control file "/usr/share/postgresql/9.1/extension/postgis.control": No such file or directory.

My OS is Ubuntu server 12.04, which includes with postgresql 9.1, which installs simply with "apt-get install postgresql".

I don't know if this install includes the "server headers" that postGIS requires, and I don't know how to find out if it does.

Other respondents to my initial query have left the impression that postgis is NOT included in the ubuntu distro, that there is no simple "apt-get" for it, and that I must download and build it from source separately. To do this I evidently must also apt-get gcc and make, and download and build several other packages (gdal, Geos, Proj, libxml2, and json-c). I have done this but, in the postgis-2.0.1 directory, the command

./configure --with-raster --with-topology --with-xml2config=/home/vince/geos/libxml2-2.7.8/xml2-config

fails with the follwing message:

configure: error: could not find headers include related to libxml2

What am I missing here?

--- On Sat, 9/29/12, Mike Toews <> wrote:

> From: Mike Toews <>
> Subject: Re: [postgis-users] where is postgis.sql?
> To: "PostGIS Users Discussion"
> Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 2:32 PM
> Hi Vince,
>
> What operation system? What method did you install? If you
> have
> pg_config installed (part of the development package of
> postgres), you
> can find the share and contrib directory:
>
> $ ls `pg_config --sharedir`/contrib
>
> But, since you are using 9.1, you should use the extension
> method of
> attaching postgis. From psql/pgAdmin in your target
> database, use the
> DDL command:
>
> CREATE EXTENSION postgis;
>
> -Mike
>
> On 30 September 2012 06:28, Vince Miller <>
> wrote:
> > Newby question: I want to attach postgis to my new db.
> Postgresql 9.1 seemed to install fine, but I can't find
> postgis.sql. Where is it? It's not in /usr/share/.../contrib
> as I'm given to expect. I don't want to compile from source
> to get it, if I don't have to. What's its relationship to
> postgis.sql.in.c?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> _______________________________________________
> postgis-users mailing list
> postgis-
> http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
>
_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
postgis-
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
)