ListArc » English » Miscellaneous » Metadatalibrarians » ISNI,+VIAF,+ORCID,+XYZ,+PDQ?

ISNI,+VIAF,+ORCID,+X...

15-05-2012 12:36 AM

Hello all,

Can anyone succinctly explain the relationships between ISNI, VIAF, ORCID, etc? I know ISNI is now a standard (ISO 27729:2012), but according to their site, there are no registering agencies yet?? How does ORCID fit in?

Can anyone point me to a decent explainer document or site?

Thanks,

Regina Avila

301-975-3575

http://lists.monarchos.com/listinfo.cgi/metadatalibrarians-monarchos.com
)

17-05-2012 07:57 PM

Dear Regina,

I do not know of a location that answers this in one place (and, to be fair, I've not looked), but I'm happy to take a stab at it. Corrections welcome.

Technically, ISNI, VIAF, and ORCID are three distinct efforts, though VIAF and ISNI have a working relationship. All three efforts assign unique identifiers to identities: the last I in ISNI stands for Identifer; VIAF assigns a VIAF number; and the ID of ORCID also refers to Identifier. VIAF and ISNI actively collocate information about identities and try to disambiguate one identity from another and, more importantly, they also try to group multiple identities contributed from multiple sources with each other (assigning the one identity a single identifier).

In the case of VIAF, it takes authority files from a large number of different national libraries and authority control programs (such as NACO) and tries to identify records in each of those files that describe the same entity,. In this way, the Name Authority record for Mark Twain from the LC/NACO file, the German (DNB) authority file, and the French (BnF) authority file (and many more) are recognized to describe the same entity. Once identified, VIAF assigns an identifier to the entity and calls the groups of records clusters.

ISNI does something similar. It tries to take data from multiple sources (VIAF is one of the sources) and disambiguate identities from or match identities with each other. Once the ISNI group believes they have been successful (and they try to use a number of different data points until some kind of confidence point has been reached), ISNI assigns an unique identifier (the ISNI itself). The relationship between OCLC, which runs VIAF, and ISNI are close enough that when you "Browse the ISNI" database, you are taken to the Dutch OCLC website (http://isni.oclc.nl/). One of the original ideas behind establishing ISNIs for identities was to help organizations manage rights for authors, musicians, etc. in a global setting. In this way "Will Smith" the actor/entertainer is clearly distinct from "Will Smith" the author. I believe ISNI is being run out of the British Library presently.

The ORCID project desires to assign identifiers to identities working in the academic, scholarly publishing realm. Typically, a higher-education institution might engage with the ORCID organization to have ORCID identifiers assigned to the institution's faculty. Again, this effort is an attempt to clearly distinguish one author/identity from another so that when you search EBSCO for "Smith, John" there is a hope and a prayer that each John Smith is distinctly identified. It is assumed that faculty themselves will use an ORCID identifier (as part of a personal website, when they submit for publication) to aid the dissemination of these identifiers and to aid the disambiguation.

It would be nice, one day, if all three of these efforts could exchange identifiers.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

--
Kevin Ford
Network Development and MARC Standards Office
Library of Congress
Washington, DC

> -----Original Message-----
> From: metadatalibrarians-
> [mailto:metadatalibrarians-] On Behalf Of
> Avila, Regina L.
> Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 4:36 PM
> To: A listserv for Metadata Librarians
> Subject: [Metadatalibrarians] ISNI, VIAF, ORCID, XYZ, PDQ?
>
> Hello all,
>
> Can anyone succinctly explain the relationships between ISNI, VIAF,
> ORCID, etc? I know ISNI is now a standard (ISO 27729:2012), but
> according to their site, there are no registering agencies yet?? How
> does ORCID fit in?
>
> Can anyone point me to a decent explainer document or site?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Regina Avila
>
> ____________________________________
> Regina L. Avila
> Digital Services Librarian
> National Institute of Standards and Technology
> 301-975-3575
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Metadatalibrarians mailing list
>
> http://lists.monarchos.com/listinfo.cgi/metadatalibrarians-
> monarchos.com

http://lists.monarchos.com/listinfo.cgi/metadatalibrarians-monarchos.com
)

25-05-2012 11:32 PM

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for responding. I was looking for information about whether these entities were cooperating and thanks to you I now have something to go by. I'll look into the relationship between ISNI, VIAF and OCLC.

Thanks again for your help.

-Regina Avila

-----Original Message-----
From: metadatalibrarians- [mailto:metadatalibrarians-] On Behalf Of Ford, Kevin
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:58 AM
To: 'A listserv for Metadata Librarians'
Subject: Re: [Metadatalibrarians] ISNI, VIAF, ORCID, XYZ, PDQ?

Dear Regina,

I do not know of a location that answers this in one place (and, to be fair, I've not looked), but I'm happy to take a stab at it. Corrections welcome.

Technically, ISNI, VIAF, and ORCID are three distinct efforts, though VIAF and ISNI have a working relationship. All three efforts assign unique identifiers to identities: the last I in ISNI stands for Identifer; VIAF assigns a VIAF number; and the ID of ORCID also refers to Identifier. VIAF and ISNI actively collocate information about identities and try to disambiguate one identity from another and, more importantly, they also try to group multiple identities contributed from multiple sources with each other (assigning the one identity a single identifier).

In the case of VIAF, it takes authority files from a large number of different national libraries and authority control programs (such as NACO) and tries to identify records in each of those files that describe the same entity,. In this way, the Name Authority record for Mark Twain from the LC/NACO file, the German (DNB) authority file, and the French (BnF) authority file (and many more) are recognized to describe the same entity. Once identified, VIAF assigns an identifier to the entity and calls the groups of records clusters.

ISNI does something similar. It tries to take data from multiple sources (VIAF is one of the sources) and disambiguate identities from or match identities with each other. Once the ISNI group believes they have been successful (and they try to use a number of different data points until some kind of confidence point has been reached), ISNI assigns an unique identifier (the ISNI itself). The relationship between OCLC, which runs VIAF, and ISNI are close enough that when you "Browse the ISNI" database, you are taken to the Dutch OCLC website (http://isni.oclc.nl/). One of the original ideas behind establishing ISNIs for identities was to help organizations manage rights for authors, musicians, etc. in a global setting. In this way "Will Smith" the actor/entertainer is clearly distinct from "Will Smith" the author. I believe ISNI is being run out of the British Library presently.

The ORCID project desires to assign identifiers to identities working in the academic, scholarly publishing realm. Typically, a higher-education institution might engage with the ORCID organization to have ORCID identifiers assigned to the institution's faculty. Again, this effort is an attempt to clearly distinguish one author/identity from another so that when you search EBSCO for "Smith, John" there is a hope and a prayer that each John Smith is distinctly identified. It is assumed that faculty themselves will use an ORCID identifier (as part of a personal website, when they submit for publication) to aid the dissemination of these identifiers and to aid the disambiguation.

It would be nice, one day, if all three of these efforts could exchange identifiers.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

--
Kevin Ford
Network Development and MARC Standards Office Library of Congress Washington, DC

> -----Original Message-----
> From: metadatalibrarians-
> [mailto:metadatalibrarians-] On Behalf Of
> Avila, Regina L.
> Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 4:36 PM
> To: A listserv for Metadata Librarians
> Subject: [Metadatalibrarians] ISNI, VIAF, ORCID, XYZ, PDQ?
>
> Hello all,
>
> Can anyone succinctly explain the relationships between ISNI, VIAF,
> ORCID, etc? I know ISNI is now a standard (ISO 27729:2012), but
> according to their site, there are no registering agencies yet?? How
> does ORCID fit in?
>
> Can anyone point me to a decent explainer document or site?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Regina Avila
>
> ____________________________________
> Regina L. Avila
> Digital Services Librarian
> National Institute of Standards and Technology
> 301-975-3575
>
>