ListArc » English » Science and Technology » Arid_gardener » Palo+verde+disease

Palo+verde+disease

13-08-2010 10:21 PM

If you can, ask the arborist the name of the disease (written out so we can get more information).

Some general information about palo verde and disease:

PESTS AND DISEASES: Spider Mites can attack Blue Palo Verde, causing "Witches’-broom," the production dense clusters of small branches arising
along the branch or at the tip. Mistletoe can also infest these trees. To a limited extent witches’-broom and Mistletoe can be controlled with pruning.
Both are largely cosmetic problems and, while they can diminish overall vigor of trees, will not, by themselves, kill the tree. The Palo Verde Root Borer
is the only lethal insect pest but it tends to attack only stressed or declining trees. The best protection from borers is to keep trees vigorous and generally
healthy. Root rot can develop in highly saturated, over-irrigated soil. Trees are particularly vulnerable immediately following transplanting. This disease
is easily avoided by proper irrigation management.
http://www.aridzonetrees.com/images/Cut%20sheets/ceflo05.pdf

Thank you,
Linda Drew

> To:
> From:
> CC:
> Subject: [Arid_gardener] Question from Home-Hort WWW page
> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:08:26 -0700
>
> Belinda McBride
> 85013
>
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a very large, beautiful Palo Brea that is about 14 years old, which is the focal point of my front yard desert landscaping. Approximately 2/3 of the tree has not bloomed for the last 6-9 months. I had a certified arborist come out today and he told me that with a $150 disease treatment there is a 50/50 chance the tree will survive. Do you have any recommendations? I hate to spend that much for just a 50/50 chance of it surviving. Even if it does survive, if only 1/3 of it blooms it will not be very attractive.
>
> He gave a long name of the disease based on his seeing blobs of sap on the trunk about 2 feet up from the ground.
>
> Is there a do-it-yourself treatment I can try? Any other suggestions?
>
> Thank you very much,
> Belinda
>
>
> _______________________________________________

Posted on the Arid_gardener mailing list. Go to http://ag.arizona.edu/mailman/listinfo/arid_gardener to subscribe.